In early March, I bought a big antique trunk with the hope that it could serve as a coffee table in our living room. When I got it home, I realized it's way too tall for that purpose, but instead is going to work as a new TV console.
The old lining was in pretty bad shape. I ripped it all out and vacuumed the inside to get it as clean as possible. Then it sat open for a few weeks as I tried to get the "old" smell out of it.
Yesterday, the chartreuse & white striped fabric I ordered to recover the inside arrived and I spent the afternoon figuring out how to cut and hem the fabric correctly so it filled the space. It was a long and boring process, but ended up working out okay. It's certainly not perfect, but it's clean and complete.
I used a staple gun and bookbinding glue to hold the whole thing together. It spent the night drying out completely and I am pleased (and surprised) with how well the bookbinding glue held the fabric in place.
I am going to be filling up the trunk with a bunch of stuff that got displaced when I reorganized my office closet last week and then it will be our new TV stand - I'll share photos when I get the new living room together. I have big plans for that space in the next few weeks.