I got my wreath completed.
Making a driftwood wreath to hang above the fireplace has been my goal since that first week in the new place when I found a handful of driftwood. Originally, I intended to make it more "wreath like" but lots of pinterest searching and an un-official poll on instagram helped me see that a sunburst was the way to go.
I didn't have a plan to hold it all together. I entertained the idea of a wreath form, nails & a staple gun. But finally just settled on hot glue. I used a plate as a circle template and hot-glued one piece to the next. Some of them held really well and others took a few more coats of glue.
It's fragile to move, but has been hanging on the wall for two days now and it's fine when it's not being touched. I am sure it will break on the drive back down to my house - I built it at my parents' place - but then I'll just glue it back together again.
Temporarily, it's hanging on a piece of twine, but when I stick it above our mirrored fireplace, I'll use fishing line to attach it to the ceiling. Then it will look as though it's floating. Hopefully I can get it to hang okay and will be sure to share photos when I do.
I am going to continue to collect driftwood and may still make a more traditional wreath for our front door. We'll see. I love driftwood. I never thought of myself as a "beach girl" and turns out, I totally am.