Oh man, this room. It's been the item on my to-do list that I pushed back and back and back until finally, it started to look like we'd move again before this space became anything but a dumping ground for extra frames, curtain rods in boxes, random storage pieces and, obviously, dirty clothes.
The number one reason for my hang-ups and hemming & hawing is that the room is huge. I know. Too much space? That's not a complaint anyone wants to hear. But really, it's gigantic. About double the amount of space that a bedroom (with a queen bed & a dresser) really needs. Plus, the ceilings are slanted and at the tallest point are very high. Which is rad, but also adds to the cavernous feel and made this an overwhelming space to conquer.
I came up with the plan to paint a stripe around the room early in the game (like last December) but failed to execute until early June. I went with a two foot stripe because I felt like it would help "ground" the room and lower the portions a bit. And WOW - did the room need some color.
It also took six months to realize that pulling the dresser out into the room instead of pushing it against the wall could help close off the space. It acts as a natural divider and really cozies up the bed area. It's also an efficent hider. We share the drawers right down the middle on the teal dresser, but Paul has an extra, smaller dresser from Ikea that holds all his work clothes. That hidden nook keeps that out of sight and also hides the laundry basket. (For the record, we have a decent sized walk in closet off the bathroom for more clothes and shoe storage.)
It was nice to finally get the curtains up. I bought the curtain rod the weekend we moved in, but was waiting to buy curtains until I new what color the stripe would be. In the end, I realized it would be cheaper and the patterns would be better if I went with tapestry fabric from Urban Outfitters and made them myself.
I cut the tapestry right down the middle and added to the top loops of ribbon from Paper Source. They look so thin in the photos - and they are - but when the blinds are shut and the curtains are pulled, our room is much darker than it used to be in the mornings (those windows face east). They were a necessary addition to the room for sure. When I first started painting and planning, I thought I would have to make a new quilt to match the space, but happily, our current one was neutral enough to work.
Originally, I was open to recovering that headboard, but in the end, the white and black accents worked out well. I am still on the lookout for a good bedside table for Paul - thankfully, he's not picky and has no need for a bedside lamp.
I kept the walls pretty clean and simple considering how much space I have. For the most part, I centered all hanging art inside the stripe, except for the sunglass art which peeks out above the line.
I brought in a lot of plants. But because I am addicted, I could so easily bring in more. I'd love to fill the space by the window with more hanging plants and I am on the lookout for an inexpensive (possibly thrifted) plant stand.
It would also be awesome to add a reading chair and table to that window area, but it's totally impractical. We have seating all over this crazy house and because we have no idea how big our next place will be, buying too much extra furniture isn't a great idea.
Right off of the room is the master bath area with our sinks and closet to the left. Straight back in the photo aboe is the toliet and shower. Just like in our last apartment, I took the closet & bathroom doors off and hung more Urban Outfitters tapestry fabric in each of those doorways.
And that's that! The room that took seven months to create. Our house is SO close to done... I can hardly believe it. This place, more than any of our previous homes, has a legit flow throughout. I think I am finally working out the style that is most us.
Here are links to all DIYs :
- bed quilt #1
- bed quilt #2 (yep, even in the summer, we sleep with two)
- chevron headboard
- teal painted dresser
- ampersand pillow
- marbled lamp
- how to paint stripes on the walls
- driftwood airplant wall hanging
- ribbon dreamcatcher
- painted circle wall art (in hallway)
And here are furniture & art sources :
- wall paint color is Valspar's Beach Blanket
- dresser paint color is BEHR Cozumel
- bed by West Elm
- dresser by Ikea (painted by us, knobs by Anthropologie)
- mirrored bedside table by Target
- curtain rod by Lowe's
- tapestrys by Urban Outfitters (floral & map)
- busroll art by Kal Barteski
- sunglass art by BKNY clothing
- California cutting board (that I added a hanger to) by AHeirloom
- bowls by Urban Outfitters & Anthropologie
- pots by Anthroplogie, Ross & Lowe's