So, I think it's seeing Ellerie on her quilt all the time, but all I want to do craft related these days is pull a bunch of patterned fabrics and make another triangle quilt. I am finding myself so excited for fall and winter where having piles of blankets everywhere is a good thing. But right now - we don't need another blanket so I am turning my quilting energy into other sewing projects.
First up were a pair of quilted floor pillows. I am quickly learning that having a little one equals extra time on the floor and so I decided to go with large 24x24 pillow covers. I wanted these to "match" the TV room without coordinating exactly. I looked around and realized that was going to mean tan, light teal, black and white and coral. Those colors were not quite enough so I pulled the purple and turquoise inspiration from the pinwheel painting that also hangs in the room.
I wandered Jo-anns until I had found the right set of fabrics. I ended up going with flannel because it had a better heft to it and I love the texture. Unlike the triangle quilts I love to make, this project involved no measuring and free-hand cutting. I cut my flannel into strips and sewed the strips together so I had two full pieces.
Then I cut the pieces into triangles and sewed them together on the diagonal. Thanks to my lack of measuring, I ended up with not quite enough fabric to cover the front of the pillow so I used some remnants to add the extra diagonal on the corner. Turns out that part is my favorite part.
I quilted them with batting so there was even more weight and cushion to the tops. I didn't have a plan for the backsides, but always figured I could go with a black canvas... until I was at Ikea and saw their black striped fabric. It's heavy-weight like most Ikea fabric and the colors were almost perfect with that I had going on the front. I added zippers to both covers because I am also learning that everything we own needs to be washable these days.
There were probably 100 ways to make these easier (like measuring!), and they took me over a week from start to finish, but I am so happy with them. Ideally, I'll get a few more floor pillows sewn before Ellerie is up and toddling around. I have a feeling we'll need to cover the fireplace ledge.
And speaking of the fireplace, we took the grill off and it totally opened up the space. I added a bunch of pillar candles (also from Ikea) and love the look.