Sometimes I see stuff on Pinterest and I re-pin and sigh, "someday." Other times I pin something and immediately shut my computer and head to the fabric/craft store. This dress (pinned here and original source/tutorial here) was one of the latter.
But the result was somehow hilarious and I was wildly entertained on Sunday afternoon as I sewed, tried on and tried to take pictures of this dress. Problem #1 is that I used the wrong fabric. I ended up with a polyester blend that I think is a little too thick and absolutely too static-y. If I did this again, I would look for a better quality fabric than my $3/yard score.
Problem #2 was during the first try-on, I looked like a melting statue of liberty. No joke, I thought to myself, "at least I have my next Halloween costume." Problem #3 was that before I cut the neck v a bit deeper it looked exactly like I was wearing Paul's scrubs.
How did I miss that this color was the exact color of the statue of liberty and scrubs until I was wearing it?
But a bit of re-trimming, a belt and a gray cardigan ("put a cardigan on it" is the new "put a bird on it.") helped pull it all together. Although even then, I still had to figure out how to photograph it so I could blog about it and it could count for my 26 projects. (Reason #865 why I am excited to have Paul home is to get my reluctant photographer back.)
Anyway. The photos above are the best I could get. YES, those are the best. Out of I don't want to tell you how many. But the one below is my favorite. Out of focus and awkward, of course, but I was laughing when I took it and I smile when I see it.
And so, long story, long, another project complete! As mentioned, if I did this again (and I probably will) I would use legit jersey fabric and probably not "ode-to-lady-libery-teal". I followed the tutorial exactly, except I cut my fabric down a bit so instead of it being 30" wide when I sewed it was about 26 inches.